Temperatures are most definitely rising and everyone is definitely feeling the heat! We certainly are and it's only 11am! Not to worry, we are hydrating on some pretty spectacular, fizzy drinks.
We've already had some really warm weather this summer, which after a long winter we are all grateful for but reports in our newspapers are stating that a proper heatwave is on the way - and it start this weekend!
Finally you say. That fortune you spent on summer clothes last May will finally be worth it. The heatwave is apparently going to last up to 2 weeks and reach high temperatures of 32 degrees Celsius. We kid you not! If you live in London, the south East or the Midlands, brace yourselves as this is where the highest temperatures are said to be excepted. Better get your SodaStream out, you are going to need it!
|Sneak peak at our upcoming SodaCaps launching Autumn 2014.|
While this may be the summer sizzling heat we have been waiting for, it is also not the norm for us here in the UK. We do need to be sun and heat smart. You might be thinking "kill joy" but it is easy for people to fall ill in extreme temperatures, especially when we forget to prepare ourselves for this level of heat. Hydration is key everyone - don't go anywhere without bringing a drink. It is really easy fall ill and can be avoided if we prepare.
A recent article in the Guardian stated, " 'While many people enjoy hot weather, high temperatures can be dangerous, especially for people who may be particularly vulnerable such as older people, young children and those with serious illnesses," said Dr Paul Cosford, director for health protection at PHE. "Everyone can enjoy the sun safely by keeping out of the heat at the hottest time of the day, avoiding sunburn and staying hydrated with plenty of cool drinks. Older people and those with long-term illnesses are particularly vulnerable to the effects of very hot weather, so it's important to look out for them and keep indoor areas as cool as possible.' " Read more here.
Think of this heatwave as being an opportunity for your to be creative in the kitchen while you're mixing up drinks.
With this in mind, we were at SodaStream want to share our best tips for staying cool in the heat:
1. Stop whatever you're doing and go get a sun hat. A of people forget just how effective wearing a simple sun hat can be. It will cover your face from harmful sun rays and help keep you cool - win win!
2. Buy your sun cream. Whether you tan or not, you can still be doing damage to your skin if you go out unprotected. No one wants to be burnt coming your return to work on Monday.
3. Dig those sunglasses out from the car and get them on! Us Brits don't wear our sunglasses enough and bright days can damage to our eyes.
4. Stock that freezer up with ice trays tonight. Whether you're hosting a BBQ or just lying in your garden alone, you will need to HYDRATE. Having ice at hand will always help you and your family cool down quicker. Or, even better, make SodaStream ice lollies. If you don't know what flavours to get, take a look at our recipe website here. You'll find great Mocktail and Cocktail recipes. As always, with SodaStream you've got something for everyone.
5. Quick - do you have enough SodaStream flavours and gas in?! If not, stop by your local store this evening and stock up. Every person in your house over the weekend will want a cool and refreshing summer drink and with SodaStream your possibilities are endless! We recommend sipping on our Del Monte flavours. Imagine an ice cold glass of our Caribbean mixed with a little lemonade and rum - perfection! Remember, drinking alcohol does dehydrate you so be aware and drink water in between.
6. Don't go out in the sun between 12-3. This may seem really obvious but you'd be surprised by the amount of people who lay out all day and feel sick come evening time! We have been told the weather will be hot and very, very humid. Take a break inside and have a cool drink.
7. Don't forget to eat! Many people who aren't used to high temperatures don't feel like eating when the sun comes out. Take some time out and have your main meals - if you feel it's too hot for a proper dinner then have salads, wraps or some cold noodles. Then, you can treat yourself with a cheeky dessert.
|Nothing beats a Float made with our Cola or Root Beer - Nom!|
8. If you do have to travel, and particularly in crowded public transport then bring your SodaStream bottle with you! Don't get on the Tube or a busy bus without a drink. Adding crushed iced to your bottle before you go will mean your drink will stay colder for longer. If you have a big bag with you, wrapping your cold drink in a towel will also help keep it cool as the sun won't be able to get at it. Personally, I love to freeze small chucks of lemons and then add them to my drinks once it's all flavoured and fizzed. It keeps the drink really cool and adds even more flavour - yum!
9. If you find you really struggle to sleep at night in the heat, maybe try and take short naps in the day. This way you'll at least get some rest and it's a good excuse to escape the sun during the hottest parts of the day.
10. For a healthy, cold snack you can munch quickly to cool down, freeze some mixed berries tonight. Frozen blueberries and raspberries are delicious and nutritious.
We really hope you enjoy the weekend and be sure to tweet us and let us know what you're up to and how you plan to use your SodaStream.